Pyrenees Holidays
Late deals Holidays Travel Parking Car-hire Ski gear Ski passes Activities Insurance Walking

Donezan

weather in Donezan
view a map of Donezan
Donezan Donezan
Donezan
Fact Box
An area rich in plant and wildlife
Heavily forested and surrounded by high peaks

Ideal base for
Usson Castle
Quérigut Castle

Ideal terrain for
Mountain biking
Hiking
Pony trekking

Over 100km of hiking routes

Skiing
Mijanes-Donezan ski resort
Between 1530m and 2000m elevation
4 km away from the village of Mijanès
9 kms of pistes
1 green
4 blue
2 red
1 black
2 debutant pistes
Ski school
Ski X Country

Click links below for
Piste Map
Lift Pass Tariff

The densely wooded South-Eastern tip of Ariege is an area rich in plant and wildlife surrounded by high mountain peaks. This is ideal terrain for mountain biking and hiking, boasting over 100km of graded hiking routes with something to suit everyone. Numerous paths are practicable all year round lending themselves pleasantly to both summer walks and winter snowshoe excursions.
Local guides also provide some excellent Pony trekking through the Pailhères pass, Hares pass and on the inspiring Vauban Way heading into the Aude.

The ski resort of Mijanès-Donezan is only 4 kms away from the village of Mijanès itself. Set on the Canrusc Mountain between 1500 and 2000 meters elevation it lends itself well to family ski holidays. It has undergone considerable investment in recent years resulting in a larger ski domain with modern equipment.

For historical interest there are two ancient castles in Donezan worth exploring. The original castle at Usson is thought to date back to the end of the 10th Century. It remained occupied for a staggering 800 years and still bears the marks of its illustrious past having been occupied by the Counts of Foix and the Kings of France before being rebuilt as a fashionable 18th Century house before finally falling victim to the French Revolution in 1794. In 1990 restoration works began and a museum is now housed in the former stables.

Quérigut Castle dates from 1208 as part of a fiefdom of the Count of Foix. It remains a mystery why this stronghold was built so close to Usson Castle, maybe providing additional protection from Catalan invasions. Nonetheless, a village grew around the foot of the keep. Today only a tower is left out of the whole fortress which was once as large as neighbouring Usson.
Read reviews of Donezan